We understand there is still potential for circumstances to change further down the line and we will continue to monitor and make assessments as best we possibly can with all the relevant authorities. We have chosen September as it is when we currently feel confident about running a safe trip.
The safety of our guests, crew, artists and the residents of Dhërmi is our number one priority. We will be reassessing the global situation every few weeks going forward and will keep all our guests up to date. If by the beginning of June we do not feel that we can ensure a safe event for our guests, Kala 2020 will be cancelled and guests will receive the same choice as now, either transfer their booking to 2021 or receive a refund. This will be done before the final balance date to ensure that guests do not have to pay any more money before this decision is made.
The global situation has changed dramatically over the past month and there is every chance that it could change for the better over the next two months. We hope that this happens and that everyone can have the Kala experience they were looking forward to - and that everyone can have a holiday that will be much needed and much deserved after being locked in for so long. For now, we will stay positive and work hard to be able to deliver a magical week in the Riviera for all of us.